Approximately 10% of women will miscarry at 20 years of age compared to 90% or more at 45 years of age or older.
Half the couples not pregnant after the first year conceives in the second year leaving only 10% 'infertile'.
Maximise Fertility Egg & Sperm Quality ?
- As we have seen, fertility is influenced by many factors, but the key ones are egg and sperm quality, tubal patency, and the frequency of sexual intercourse.
- The best approach to maximising one's chances is to avoid things that may harm these factors. Lifestyle measures are increasingly being neglected but are very important.
- Smoking, excess alcohol and recreational drug use all negatively affect sperm and egg quality and possibly not only at the time but in the long term.
- Obesity increases infertility and miscarriage.
- A healthy diet rich in antioxidants and an active lifestyle are musts for all couples, therefore. Women should take folic acid for at least three months before starting trying to get pregnant as eggs take this long to develop. The same is true for men as sperm take the same time to grow, so take supplements such as zinc, selenium, and omega-3 alongside your partner.
Apple and Facebook are to offer their female employees egg freezing as part of their health and wellness benefits from January 2015
Source: Independent UK